Commitment IssuesFri, Oct 18th 2013
I am having a relationship with a divorced person for the past two years. We are very happy and he treats me well. However, I seem to talk and have contact with other men who have an interest in me. My boyfriend caught me twice and he has had the generous heart to forgive me. Now I feel guilty and hopeless about this relationhip. My parents are highly against this relationship but yet we continued and yet we have no hope.
I personally find what I'm doing to be very unethical and I have tried so many times to stop. Yet I am prone to it all the time.
Please advise me on whether this is a disorder and if so I can seek help. I'm in love with him so much and don't want to hurt him in any way whatsoever.. Please advise and help. Thank you.
THE ANSWER TO THIS QUESTION WILL NOT BE DISPLAYED UNTIL YOU HAVE INDICATED YOUR AGREEMENT WITH THE DISCLAIMER PRINTED JUST BELOW. CLICK THE 'I AGREE' BUTTON TO AGREE TO THESE TERMS AND SEE THE RESPONSE.
- Dr. Schwartz responds to questions about psychotherapy and mental health problems, from the perspective of his training in clinical psychology.
- Dr. Schwartz intends his responses to provide general educational information to the readership of this website; answers should not be understood to be specific advice intended for any particular individual(s).
- Questions submitted to this column are not guaranteed to receive responses.
- No correspondence takes place.
- No ongoing relationship of any sort (including but not limited to any form of professional relationship) is implied or offered by Dr. Schwartz to people submitting questions.
- Dr. Schwartz, Mental Help Net and CenterSite, LLC make no warranties, express or implied, about the information presented in this column. Dr. Schwartz and Mental Help Net disclaim any and all merchantability or warranty of fitness for a particular purpose or liability in connection with the use or misuse of this service.
- Always consult with your psychotherapist, physician, or psychiatrist first before changing any aspect of your treatment regimen. Do not stop your medication or change the dose of your medication without first consulting with your physician.