Do I Have Adult ADD?Fri, Nov 1st 2013
All of my life I've been "different." I seem able to work my best when I'm swamped with several things but unable to concentrate or focus when there is only one thing to do. I become anxious and just generally nervous. I often think I am the only one not included in group activities at work. Then, for a while, I'll know that's just not true and I feel fine.
I can't seem to get organized either at work or at home and this is and has always been a huge issue both personally & professionally. I have had thoughts of suicide but not all the time or not as a problem I dwell on. When I have the thoughts it comes quickly and does obviously pass.
I'm not in a constant state of depression although I often have weeks at a time where I seem unable to do anything but lie around and think very negative thoughts, but then I also have weeks at a time where I get just 2 or 3 hours of sleep and get up wide awake feeling like I must indulge in something physical like building doll furniture in my kitchen.
At 1:00 AM as it's too early to go start up my saw on the back porch. While promiscuous in my younger years now my problem is with impulse spending even when I know I don't have the funds in the bank. Then I go through a guilt period. I'm always exhausted.
Am I just crazy or is there something manageable wrong with me?
THE ANSWER TO THIS QUESTION WILL NOT BE DISPLAYED UNTIL YOU HAVE INDICATED YOUR AGREEMENT WITH THE DISCLAIMER PRINTED JUST BELOW. CLICK THE 'I AGREE' BUTTON TO AGREE TO THESE TERMS AND SEE THE RESPONSE.
- Dr. Schwartz responds to questions about psychotherapy and mental health problems, from the perspective of his training in clinical psychology.
- Dr. Schwartz intends his responses to provide general educational information to the readership of this website; answers should not be understood to be specific advice intended for any particular individual(s).
- Questions submitted to this column are not guaranteed to receive responses.
- No correspondence takes place.
- No ongoing relationship of any sort (including but not limited to any form of professional relationship) is implied or offered by Dr. Schwartz to people submitting questions.
- Dr. Schwartz, Mental Help Net and CenterSite, LLC make no warranties, express or implied, about the information presented in this column. Dr. Schwartz and Mental Help Net disclaim any and all merchantability or warranty of fitness for a particular purpose or liability in connection with the use or misuse of this service.
- Always consult with your psychotherapist, physician, or psychiatrist first before changing any aspect of your treatment regimen. Do not stop your medication or change the dose of your medication without first consulting with your physician.