17 year old running the houseThu, Dec 27th 2007
I am a stepmom to a 17 year old girl. she constantly acts as if she needs to be shown how to do everything, from washing the dishes right to mopping the floor right and so on but then gets mad when we try to show her how its done. and whenever she is grounded she gets mad. but when she gets mad, it is somewhat scary. she flies off the handle, yelling and screaming obscentities, constantly telling us that either she didn\'t say or do the thing that she has been grounded for or when she can see that the yelling won\'t work, she turns on the tears and starts apologizing. i am at my wit\'s end. i feel like i can\'t stay in the same house as her for much longer, but her mom refuses to kick her out after she turns 18. we are under so much stress because of her that when we talk about the kid, we end up fighting. what is going on here? what can i do about it? and can we get our house back again?
THE ANSWER TO THIS QUESTION WILL NOT BE DISPLAYED UNTIL YOU HAVE INDICATED YOUR AGREEMENT WITH THE DISCLAIMER PRINTED JUST BELOW. CLICK THE 'I AGREE' BUTTON TO AGREE TO THESE TERMS AND SEE THE RESPONSE.
- Dr. Schwartz responds to questions about psychotherapy and mental health problems, from the perspective of his training in clinical psychology.
- Dr. Schwartz intends his responses to provide general educational information to the readership of this website; answers should not be understood to be specific advice intended for any particular individual(s).
- Questions submitted to this column are not guaranteed to receive responses.
- No correspondence takes place.
- No ongoing relationship of any sort (including but not limited to any form of professional relationship) is implied or offered by Dr. Schwartz to people submitting questions.
- Dr. Schwartz, Mental Help Net and CenterSite, LLC make no warranties, express or implied, about the information presented in this column. Dr. Schwartz and Mental Help Net disclaim any and all merchantability or warranty of fitness for a particular purpose or liability in connection with the use or misuse of this service.
- Always consult with your psychotherapist, physician, or psychiatrist first before changing any aspect of your treatment regimen. Do not stop your medication or change the dose of your medication without first consulting with your physician.