Craving AttentionSun, Oct 2nd 2005
I am 29, female, married for 2 years. I have a serious problem with craving for attention. In every relationship or when I am in a crowd, I am obsessed with being at the center of attention. I will go to any lengths to get attention. When I do not get attention, even for a short while, I act in a manner that impairs my relationship with people around me. Some of these people are people I know for years and are important to me. Probably this is because I received extra attention as a kid. I send emails to people just to get a response, and when I don't get it, I get wild. I take up jobs like teaching, so people are forced to give me attention... This is ruining my life and my relationships. I am getting into serious arguments, totally because of my fault. I am also resorting to crazy and harmful resolution mechanisms.
THE ANSWER TO THIS QUESTION WILL NOT BE DISPLAYED UNTIL YOU HAVE INDICATED YOUR AGREEMENT WITH THE DISCLAIMER PRINTED JUST BELOW. CLICK THE 'I AGREE' BUTTON TO AGREE TO THESE TERMS AND SEE THE RESPONSE.
- Dr. Dombeck responds to questions about psychotherapy and mental health problems, from the perspective of his training in clinical psychology.
- Dr. Dombeck intends his responses to provide general educational information to the readership of this website; answers should not be understood to be specific advice intended for any particular individual(s).
- Questions submitted to this column are not guaranteed to receive responses.
- No correspondence takes place.
- No ongoing relationship of any sort (including but not limited to any form of professional relationship) is implied or offered by Dr. Dombeck to people submitting questions.
- Dr. Dombeck, Mental Help Net and CenterSite, LLC make no warranties, express or implied, about the information presented in this column. Dr. Dombeck and Mental Help Net disclaim any and all merchantability or warranty of fitness for a particular purpose or liability in connection with the use or misuse of this service.
- Always consult with your psychotherapist, physician, or psychiatrist first before changing any aspect of your treatment regimen. Do not stop your medication or change the dose of your medication without first consulting with your physician.