Anxious About OpinionsThu, Dec 26th 2013
I'm 24 and living in Europe. I have been diagnosed with anxiety and hypochondria, and the latter pretty much under control now. But one thing bothering me still is that I'm really sensitive when it comes to others' opinions. It's almost like I don't let people think differently. Even when I don't agree with someone really hard, it bugs me for quite a time and doesn't let me get really involved in anything else since there is ALWAYS someone for or opposed to something and I'm not able to simply read, disagree and move on, but obsess over something someone wrote, fearing it might be true, even when knowing it's not. I'm pretty confident that it comes from my anxiety. So, my question is, are there any tools which I can use to become more confident about my opinions and less obsessed with other's?
I hope my English isn't that hard to understand.
THE ANSWER TO THIS QUESTION WILL NOT BE DISPLAYED UNTIL YOU HAVE INDICATED YOUR AGREEMENT WITH THE DISCLAIMER PRINTED JUST BELOW. CLICK THE 'I AGREE' BUTTON TO AGREE TO THESE TERMS AND SEE THE RESPONSE.
- Dr. Schwartz responds to questions about psychotherapy and mental health problems, from the perspective of his training in clinical psychology.
- Dr. Schwartz intends his responses to provide general educational information to the readership of this website; answers should not be understood to be specific advice intended for any particular individual(s).
- Questions submitted to this column are not guaranteed to receive responses.
- No correspondence takes place.
- No ongoing relationship of any sort (including but not limited to any form of professional relationship) is implied or offered by Dr. Schwartz to people submitting questions.
- Dr. Schwartz, Mental Help Net and CenterSite, LLC make no warranties, express or implied, about the information presented in this column. Dr. Schwartz and Mental Help Net disclaim any and all merchantability or warranty of fitness for a particular purpose or liability in connection with the use or misuse of this service.
- Always consult with your psychotherapist, physician, or psychiatrist first before changing any aspect of your treatment regimen. Do not stop your medication or change the dose of your medication without first consulting with your physician.