Should I Get Back Together With My Wife?Sun, Sep 8th 2002
My wife and I have been separated for a year now. For the last 3 years I have been falling apart, mentally+spiritually. She has been no support. In fact she has told me many times that I am a weakling. I was a good father and husband until stress and drugs got a hold of me. I got off the dope against her wishes. Started going to church, the whole-Get Better thing. Mentally I've snapped. I see a therapist now. He advised I move out due to her hitting me.Well, that was a year ago. Now she seems to want to put it back together. Without going into any of the problems that existed before. I'm not going to blame her. Putting up with my mental state must've been hard. She is not an understanding person at all, which seemed to lead to her falling apart. My question is this: should I pursue her without first establishing that we will get counseling. I love her dearly, regardless of her attitude and abusive nature. Let alone the fact that we have 3 daughters. Please be frank with me. I am considering divorce papers and moving away. It hurts all over again to see her.
THE ANSWER TO THIS QUESTION WILL NOT BE DISPLAYED UNTIL YOU HAVE INDICATED YOUR AGREEMENT WITH THE DISCLAIMER PRINTED JUST BELOW. CLICK THE 'I AGREE' BUTTON TO AGREE TO THESE TERMS AND SEE THE RESPONSE.
- 'Anne' is the pseudonym for the individual who writes this relationship advice column.
- 'Anne' bases her responses on her personal experiences and not on professional training or study. She does not represent herself to be a psychologist, therapist, counselor or professional helper of any sort. Her responses are offered from the perspective of a friend or mentor only.
- Anne intends her responses to provide general information to the readership of this website; answers should not be understood to be specific advice intended for any particular individual(s).
- Questions submitted to this column are not guaranteed to receive responses.
- No correspondence takes place.
- No ongoing relationship of any sort (including but not limited to any form of professional relationship) is implied or offered by 'Anne' to people submitting questions.
- 'Anne', Mental Help Net and CenterSite, LLC make no warranties, express or implied, about the information presented in this column. 'Anne' and Mental Help Net disclaim any and all merchantability or warranty of fitness for a particular purpose or liability in connection with the use or misuse of this service.
- Always consult with your psychotherapist, physician, or psychiatrist first before changing any aspect of your treatment regimen. Do not stop your medication or change the dose of your medication without first consulting with your physician.